Thursday, October 1, 2009

Unemployment: a New Opportunity for Cooking Adventures?

On Friday at approximately 6:30 PM I will officially be unemployed again.  It's a lot less scary this time, that's for sure.  But nonetheless, I am a little apprehensive.  I think the main reasons for my apprehension are random articles I stumble upon that proclaim "Unemployment Insurance Funding Dried Up!" and things like that.

I now know that life can indeed be lived just fine on unemployment insurance.  But still--I do not like having a lot of time to myself, at home, alone, with nothing to do.  Can't pick up any of the hobbies I'm really interested in because they cost money--sewing (I don't own a machine, fabrics cost money), and other such hobbies. 

This time around, I will cook.  Not gratuitously or wastefully; no, I will cook for my husband.  It will be nice to be awake when he gets home.  Maybe we will eat dinner together at 10:30 PM when he gets off work every night.  It will be nice to go to the gym with him in the mornings instead of racing out the door for work before he's even awake.  Yes, I am seeing the positive side of this next period of unemployment.

I really have learned a lot about jobs, interviewing, resumes, and relationships with people during this whole experience.  I remember the two closest people to me at the time telling me "You are going to look back at this scary time of being unemployed and see it as a good thing."  They were right, and I have.  I have learned a lot, actually.  It's been a good experience.

Starting Monday, I will be (obviously) looking for jobs.  But in my down time I hope to cook more and to try out new things and maybe introduce you all to some of our family staples.  I am also hoping to spend some time with my sister-in-law and nephew, and try and visit some of my cousins at college.  We shall see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment