Sunday, January 24, 2010

Words and their Emotional Meaning

Today I was struck again by how often some terms are used casually by many people who don't realize the damaging power those terms have.  I am reminded of how many lovely, well-meaning people in my life enjoying throwing around gang terms and street slang without really thinking about what they say. 

Take, for example, a lovely woman and mother whom I once considered a very close friend.  I've seen her use certain "street terms" many times over the years and yet I don't really think she takes the time to think about the damage it may cause.  She has a son and daughter of her own and is a God-fearing woman who strives to live her life without reproach every day.  Yet in her writing and blogs I see these words (and other out-of-place slang terms most often found on the street) repeated time and again.  It's not that she's insensitive; I believe she's just clueless and/or isn't thinking, really, about what she says. 

As I learn more about the reality of prostitution, trafficking, and the "underground world" I increasingly become aware of the use of one particular word as a compliment or positive description.  That word is "pimp."  Now, I think we all know what a pimp is.  It is a despicable, evil person who profits off the pain and suffering of others, to say the very least.  Yet people love to throw it around.  You're a pimp if you have status, power, money, jewelry, notoriety, or a variety of other characteristics. 

When I hear that word used casually by a person who doesn't think about what they say before they say it I cringe.  I know too much about the reality of human trafficking not to be sickened when people use that word. 

Please, for the sake of the people in slavery to pimps all over the world, do not use this term as slang or in jest.  I unwittingly hurts those around us who have experienced the dark world these monsters are a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment